Book: Claimed By Shadow



Karen Chance
Fantasy
Penguin Group / April 2007
Mass Market / 384pp
Series: Cassandra Palmer Series, #2

A recent legacy made Cassandra Palmer heir to the title of Pythia, the world's chief clairvoyant. It's a position that usually comes with years of training, but Cassie's circumstances are a little...unusual. Now she's stuck with a whopping amount of power that every vamp, fey, and mage in town wants to either monopolize or eradicate-and that she herself doesn't dare use.

What's more, she's just discovered that a certain arrogant master vampire has a geis on her-a magical claim that warns off any would-be suitors, and might also explain the rather ... intense attraction between them. But Cassie's had it with being jerked around, and anyone who tries it from now on is going to find out that she makes a very bad enemy...


I picked this book up because it is the second book in a series.

What I liked the Most? The out of control time travel

What I liked the Least? Some of the characters are really one dimensional.

Review:At the end of the first book, Cassie Palmer had received a new and unwanted power, a sexy love interest that is untouchable, and she was running from things that go bump in the night. After finishing Claimed by Shadow, I was a extremely annoyed to find that I was still in the same fix. Cassie has a new and unwanted power, the sexy love interest is still off limits, she's still running from things that go bump in the night. Hopefully it is not going to be the pattern, and I will read the next book in the series just to double check.

Claimed by Shadow introduces some more fascinating aspects of this alternate earth world, but Cassie's powers are still unexplained and she is still charging into situations she doesn't understand, with "allies" that have shown themselves to be less than trustworthy makes for an interesting story, but makes me wonder about her basic common sense. What's even worse, you can't keep the good guys and the bad guys in order. Unless it's Tony.

Either I'm losing it, or the author is losing me, I'm not sure which. I'll hang in there for one more installment, but if it doesn't start start to make sense soon, I'll have to bail on the series. I am not getting suckered into the whole - it gets better, really it does syndrome again.

Recommended to: Someone who enjoyed the first book

Best Quote: "I do not deal in Fey affairs"

Challenges: 100+, Para999

No comments :

Post a Comment