Movie:A Knight's Tale




Directed by Brian Helgeland
Actors Heath Ledger, Mark Addy, Paul Bettany and Rufus Sewell
MPAA rating: PG
Running time: 132 mins
Tagline: He didn't make the rules. He was born to break them.

Inspired by "The Canterbury Tales," as well as the story of Ulrich von Lichtenstein, this is the story of William, a young squire with a gift for jousting. After his master dies suddenly, the squire hits the road with his cohorts Roland and Wat. On the journey, they stumble across an unknown writer, Chaucer. William, lacking a proper pedigree, convinces Chaucer to forge genealogy documents that will pass him off as a knight. With his newly-minted history in hand, the young man sets out to prove himself a worthy knight at the country's jousting competition, and finds romance along the way.


I picked this movie because this was a Father’s Day pick when it first came out – it has sense turned into one of my favorite movies of all time.

What I liked the Most? This could have been an absolute bomb, but somehow magically works perfectly!, this film is ridiculously unbelievable, thin on plot, shamefully predictable, historically inaccurate in so many ways - yet it all works!




What I liked the Least? Okay so some of the lines are cheesy but I still love it

Review: Let me start by saying this is one of my all time favorite movies so yes the review is biased!!! LOL Now that that is out of the way on to the review.

Really?!?! “The musical choices destroyed any sense of historical accuracy” This comment is to counter the small minded bigots who have issue with modern rock, out of period costumes and other “time” problems with this movie. HELLO!!! This movie was designed to entertain. It was NOT designed to be a historically accurate work and nowhere does it claim to be one. This is the story of a boy – a boy who aspires to change his stars and be more than his place in society allows him. The movie uses humor (and a lot of it) to bring this point home to the viewer. The makers of "A Knight's Tale" set out to entertain, and did so beautifully.

This movie is a hilarious, fast-paced, wonderfully constructed, amazingly tongue-in-cheek entertaining movie. The actors were obviously enjoying themselves, and the action was beautifully blended in with the rest of the film.
My original rating: I went in expecting little (dad wanted to see the jousting thing) and came out extremely satisfied & abso craving the DVD.
Recommended to: Anyone

Best Quote: Too many to choose from but some of my favorites are:
“Change your stars and live a better life than I have.”

“With hope. Love should end with hope. My husband, God rest him, told me something I'll never forget. Hope guides me. It is what gets me through the day and especially the night. The hope that after you're gone from my sight it will not be the last time I look upon you.”

“All right, I'm about this fonging close mate! I swear to God, Quaisimodo! I oughta...”

“Oh my giddy aunt”

“What's your name, William? I'm asking you William Thatcher, to answer me with your name? It's not Sir William. It's not count, or duke or earl William. It's certainly not King William.”


“What a pair we make, huh? Both trying to hide who we are, both unable to do so. Your men love you. If I knew nothing else about you, that would be enough. But you also tilt when you should withdraw... and that is knightly, too. Release him. He may appear to be of humble origins, but my personal historians have discovered that he is descendent from an ancient royal line. This is my word... and as such is beyond contestation. Now, if I may repay the kindness you once showed me... take a knee. By the power vested in me by my father, King Edward, and by all the witnesses here, I dub thee Sir William. Arise... Sir William. Can you joust?”

And my favorite exchange will always be
Jocelyn: A flower is only as good as its petals. Don't you think?
William: A flower is good for nothing. You can't eat a flower, a flower can't keep your warm...
Jocelyn: And a rose never knocked a man off a horse either, did it?
William: You're just a silly girl aren't you.
Jocelyn: Better a silly girl with a flower, than a silly boy with a horse and a stick...
Wat: It's called a lance. Heellooo?

LOL – I could quote the whole dang movie happily.

No comments :

Post a Comment