Book: Harry Potter & The Sorcerer’s Stone




J.K. Rowlings
Young Adult
Scholastic / 1997
Hard Back / 310 Pages
Series Harry Potter #1

With the release of J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, the first in a series of tales about a young wizard in training, an international craze was born. Not since C. S. Lewis's iThe Chronicles of Narnia/i has a children's tale of magic and mystery so enthralled the reading public. And it's easy to see why. Eleven-year-old Harry Potter, the plucky yet nerdy hero of this series, is the embodiment of every uncool kid's fantasy. Unpopular in school, picked on by bullies, and persecuted by his adoptive family, the disheveled and bespectacled Harry manages to not only survive but thrive by discovering friends, magical powers, and a great destiny he never knew he had.

Harry hates living with his Uncle Vernon, Aunt Petunia, and their spoiled-rotten son, Dudley. Harry's room is a tiny closet beneath the stairs, and the entire family treats him with disdain. What's more, Harry keeps getting into trouble for making strange things happen -- things he seems to have no control over. But then Harry discovers the truth about himself when a determined messenger delivers an enlightening message. It turns out that Harry's mother was a witch, his father a wizard. And not only is Harry also a wizard, he's a famous one! His survival of the attack by the evil wizard who killed his parents has marked him as a legendary hero -- as has the lightning-bolt-shaped scar on his forehead.

Soon Harry finds himself attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, where he receives training in some magic basics, masters riding a broomstick, and discovers his incredible talent for a game called Quidditch, which is played in the air on flying brooms. And for the first time in his life, Harry has friends who care about him: his fellow students Hermione and Ron and a giant named Hagrid. But all is not rosy when Harry discovers his true destiny and finds he must once again face the evil one who killed his parents. His survival will depend upon the help of his newfound friends, as well as his own wit and powers.

It's easy to see why Harry Potter has caught the reading public's fancy. Not only are his adventures an entertaining mix of fright, fantasy, and fun, his triumphs over everyday adversities offer a heartening lesson to kids everywhere.


I picked this book up because a lady asked me if it was child appropriate when I worked at Barnes & Noble – I read it to find out

What I liked the Most? the honesty & childlike fun this story had

What I liked the Least? In the first book - nothing

Review: Well I’ve reviewed 2 of the movies and none of the books & since both reviews said “I think I read a different book” I decided to reread the series and write reviews for all of them. But it has proven to be hard to write a review for a book that is so dang popular and well known. There is nothing new to say – so I’ve gone back to my original view point of the book.

Okay – so I read this book (and the next 2) before the whole Harry Potter mania came about because a lady asked me “do you think this is child appropriate?” I had to be honest & tell her that I did not know (turned out that she was more aggravated by the wizardly aspect of the series & didn’t like my answer the next time I saw her lol).

I still stand by my second answer to the anonymous lady from Barnes & Noble – “Ma’am this book is a wonderful story for a child to read. It is all about friendship and adventure with an interesting twist on boarding school and magic. I enjoyed the fact that the characters are well developed but still young enough to grow.” I meant every word then & I mean every word now. The first book is truly a wonderful tale about friendship and adventure set at a magical boarding school (I wanna go to Hogwart’s!!). There are scary parts & laugh out loud moments & even a scene or two that can cause tears. There is something truly magical about this book (above & beyond the hey it’s about magic DA).

Please keep in mind that this review is for this book only – not the series & not the movies.

Recommended to: Anyone who hasn’t already read this book

Best Quote: "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live."

No comments :

Post a Comment