Movie:Gentlemen Prefer Blondes




Director: Howard Hawks
Actors: Jane Russell, Marilyn Monroe and Charles Coburn
MPAA rating:
Running time: 91 mins
Tagline: The Two Marvels Of Our Age In The Wonder Musical Of The World!

Lorelei and Dorothy are just "Two Little Girls from Little Rock", lounge singers on a transatlantic cruise, working their way to Paris, and enjoying the company of any eligible men they might meet along the way, even though "Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend." Based on the Broadway musical based on the novel.


I picked this movie because I love Marilyn Monroe & Jane Russell ain’t no slouch either.

What I liked the Most? Everything – this movie tickles my funny bone

What I liked the Least? Nada

Review: From the opening credits to the end of the movie – I am totally fascinated with this journey through almost what it must have been like during this time period. Think back – this is a movie set in the 50’s when the “industry” was still very much a man’s world. Lorelei Lee is show cased as being a diamond loving (or would that be grubbing) brainless set of boobs in a skirt, but this girl is no dummy. She knows that men lust after her and she is smart enough to make that work for her.

The “Diamonds Are A Girl’s Best Friend” showcases the chauvinistic way that “men” devalue and dehumanize women when they think that they own them. Don’t believe me – go watch the scene again & check out the S&M bondage chandelier or the fact that the dancers don’t have a face.

This movie has layers upon layers of information for exploration, but it is still (or perhaps should be because of this) one of my favorite movies.

Recommended to: Everyone

Best Quote: There are truly so many
“Don't you know that a man being rich is like a girl being pretty? You wouldn't marry a girl just because she's pretty, but my goodness, doesn't it help?”

“Remember, honey, on your wedding day it's All right to say yes.”

“I can be smart when I need to be.”

No comments :

Post a Comment