False Power of Ego

Well I signed up for the Oprah Life Class over at Oprah’s very own site.

Points that struck home with me:

  • “You can’t begin to love yourself or even be true to yourself unless you know who you are separate from your ego.” This is so closely tied into RuPaul quote “If you can't love yourself, how in the hell are you gonna love someone else?" it’s not even funny & I thought I was doing okay with that one, but evidently my ego was clouding my reality.
  • The ego is never satisfied and feeds itself on wanting.
  • You alone are enough.



The main questions were:
  1. If you could change one thing in your life, what would it be–and why? If I could change anything about my life it would be my senior year of high school. During the summer between my junior & senior years I had gotten on a healthy eating plan by eliminating all processed carbs with the help of my mother. I had lost a lot of weight but the best thing was how healthy I felt, I felt alive, but I let my defeatist thinking get the best of me and I started dosing myself with sugar and flour causing the weight to zoom back on and setting myself up for a life long battle.
  2. Where does your ego get in your way? My ego gets in the way because it says “oh one piece of candy didn’t hurt – have another”. It sabotages me constantly – body, mind, & spirit.

So now my quest becomes how I can find my body, mind & spirit if ego keeps sabotaging me. And using the “explore this topic further” questions/comments maybe I can find the pathway back to myself.
  1. What is the one thing you most identify yourself with? (looks/job/family) I use my family most of the time when I identify myself.
  2. What role do you play?
    • At home – I am the caretaker
    • At work – I am the back bone
    • In the world – I am the dependable one

  3. How do you think others see you? How many of your choices are made to maintain this image? I think others see me as the person they can take advantage of. I use almost all of my energy in life to maintain my good girl image and do everything I can for anyone who asks. All of my choices are designed to enhance that image. And where does that good girl image come from one my ask, my good girl southern upbringing. I am a praise junkie – I enjoy hearing the words thank you & beautiful job.
  4. What choices have you made that are genuine expressions of who you are and in alignment with what you want from life? I don’t think I’ve ever made a choice for myself.

1 comment :

  1. Then you should definitely start making choices for yourself. ^^ You know what they say about good girls going to heaven... all I can think about is cold wet feet from all the clouds!

    ReplyDelete