Book: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children


Ransom Riggs
Young Adult
Quirk / 2011
Hard Back / 352 Pages

A mysterious island.

An abandoned orphanage.

A strange collection of very curious photographs.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.


I picked this book up because the cover rocks

What I liked the Most? The creepy pictures

What I liked the Least? Emma’s romance

Review:The writing style was enchanting – I will give Ransom that and I enjoyed this really awkward tale, but the promise was unfortunately not delivered to my satisfaction. It had moments oh boy did it have moments, but the attention (and lack of detail at times) to detail killed the story. The opening prologue was written in truly spectacular style, the first couple of chapters rocked, then wham dead story. Could have left out the WTF romance and saved the whole story.

And what’s up with almost all young adult novels seem to think there's gotta be a romance and in this book it's Emma. Now don’t get me wrong it’s not the instant love connection that I’m bitching about the icky fact that comes into play if you consider Emma and her history,

Recommended to: Other fans of the unusual

Best Quote: “I used to dream about escaping my ordinary life, but my life was never ordinary. I had simply failed to notice how extraordinary it was.”

No comments :

Post a Comment