Book: The Trouble With Spells




Lacey Weatherford
Young Adult
Moonstruck Media / 2011
Mass Market / 244 Pages
Series Of Witches and Warlocks #1

Portia Mullins had always lived the life of a normal teenager, up until her sixteenth birthday. She is then informed by her grandma that she is actually a witch who is a descendant of a long line of witches and warlocks. After overcoming her disbelief she finds that being a member of the coven comes with one great perk in the form of the school's handsome bad boy, Vance Mangum. Vance and Portia have an immediate connection as a budding romance begins, only to be threatened by turbulent skies on the horizon as Vance's checkered past rears its ugly head to haunt them. Portia is forced to use her untried powers in defense of everything she loves in a desperate attempt to hold on to the one thing that really matters in her life.


I picked this book up because the blurb sounded interesting

What I liked the Most? Some of the spell work was cool

What I liked the Least? Trying to mainstream witches by turning them Christian

Review: OMG – I thought I was reading Twilight all over again and that book sucked as. I don’t see what is so romantic about a stalker and that is what Vance is – a stalker. During the two years between the opening of the book & the “meat” of the story, he spent time stalking Portia, spending time in front of her house & even her bedroom window.

On her 16th birthday Portia is told that she is a witch and giving the opportunity to join her family coven, where (dun-dun-duhn) Vance is there. What follows is a fast down ward spiral into kiddie sexual tension and overwhelming “need” to spend every moment together. Instant soul mate connection. Yeah right.

The writing was beautiful don’t get me wrong – I loved the pacing and the descriptive narrative, it’s just I couldn’t get past the nightmare of being hunted by the one who supposedly loves me.

Recommended to: Absolutely no one

Best Quote: “I made up my mind in that moment I wasn’t going to have sex until I was married. If I was married to someone, then it meant I’d be able to be in a real relationship with someone I really loved, not some poor one-night stand who happened to be an unfortunate victim of my circumstances.”

No comments :

Post a Comment