Audrey's Guide to Witchcraft


Jody Gehrman
Young Adult
Magic Genie Books / June 2012
Paper Back / 293 Pages

Falling in Love, baking a magical cake, fighting an evil necromancer—it’s all in a day’s work for Audrey Oliver, seventeen-year-old witch-in-training.

When her mother goes missing and her twenty-one-year-old witchy cousin shows up out of the blue, Audrey knows something’s gone horribly, dangerously wrong. Now it’s up to her to get her own magical powers up to speed before everyone she loves is destroyed by the sorcerer intricately connected to her mother’s secret past.

I picked this book up because It said witchcraft :)

What I liked the Most? The fact that this book doesn't take itself seriously

What I liked the Least? Total Mary Sue book

Review: Ok, being a witch myself, you would think I'd be a bit more tolerant of books like this, but I really don't like Mary Sue characters. However there is something slightly compelling in the way this book was written, that allowed me to over look it.

You have the basic para plot line: Audrey’s life is a mundane as can be, then freaky things start to happen, and her mom disappears to help her (wait Mom had a!) family, weird cousin Sadie shows up with a zoo, & then the hijenks really start. You have insta-love, wowser powers & duh-duh-dummmm the big bad evil guy (and yes you'll figure out the plot twist early - just roll with it).

I can’t say the plot was all that (the constant pop culture references really sapped my sticking power), but it did keep my attention. I'm still not sure if I’ll be picking up the second book in the series.

This type book reminds me of hot chocolate, really good once in awhile, but totally overwhelming on a daily basis.

Recommended to: Fans of the absurd

Best Quote: “The right song can change everything.”

No comments :

Post a Comment