Book: Eat, Pray, Love



Elizabeth Gilbert
Biography
Penguin / 2007
Quality Paperback / 352 Pages


A transformational journey through Italy, India, and Bali searching for pleasure and devotion—the massive bestseller from the author of The Signature of All Things
This beautifully written, heartfelt memoir touched a nerve among both readers and reviewers. Elizabeth Gilbert tells how she made the difficult choice to leave behind all the trappings of modern American success (marriage, house in the country, career) and find, instead, what she truly wanted from life. Setting out for a year to study three different aspects of her nature amid three different cultures, Gilbert explored the art of pleasure in Italy and the art of devotion in India, and then a balance between the two on the Indonesian island of Bali. By turns rapturous and rueful, this wise and funny author (whomBooklist calls “Anne Lamott’s hip, yoga- practicing, footloose younger sister”) is poised to garner yet more adoring fans.
I picked this book up because well because Raj on Big Bang Theory said it changed his life

What I liked the Most?  the imagery Elizabeth painted at every turn

What I liked the Least? the roller coaster

Review: This book took me on a roller-coaster ride. I can't decide if I love or hate, maybe both. LOL. To me it appeared that every few pages I'd swing from this is delightfully witty to OMG this is the most horribly self-absorbed person to ever set foot on the earth. Then right back to a chuckle & this is soooo freaking perfect.

My major stressor with dealing with this book, is that she appeared to have a wonderful life & never gave a true reason as to why she was on the freaking bathroom floor sobbing her life away. Just a simple, we'd grown apart would have sufficed, but she only says that she felt guilty. Guilty over what? I understand you want some privacy, but jeepers - you decided to write this book, so you should be aware that people reading it crave answers.

There were beautiful pieces to this story, and to be honest, this is going to be one of those truly individual reads. I enjoyed it (most of the time), but even with that, I had to put the book down several times so that I could get my head back together to continue to read.


Recommended to: read it for yourself - that way you can make up your mind

Best Quote: “Tis' better to live your own life imperfectly than to imitate someone else's perfectly.”

No comments :

Post a Comment