Book: Darkling



Yasmine Galenorn
Paranormal Romance
Penguin Group / January 2008
Mass Market / 304 pages
Sisters of the Moon #3


We’re the D’Artigo sisters: Half-human, half-Faerie, we’re savvy – and sexy – operatives for the Otherworld Intelligence Agency. But our mixed-blood heritage short circuits our talents at all the wrong times. My sister Camille is a wicked-good witch whose magic is as unpredictable as the weather. My sister Delilah transforms into a tabby cat when she’s under stress. And Me? I’m Menolly, acrobat-extraordinaire-turned-vampire. And I’d give my right fang to make my sire pay for killing me. That is, if he doesn’t find me first…

All over Seattle, humans have been going missing, only to turn up as newborn vampires - the sure sign of a rogue vamp on the loose. It looks like Dredge is to blame. The same sadistic Dredge who gave me my scars, and who may well be in cahoots with the demon Shadow Wing. If so, Otherworld and Earth are screwed. The only way we can hope to defeat Dredge is for me to travel home to Otherworld, where I must face my own demons. Because unless I sever the ties that bind me to Dredge, all hell is going to break loose....

I picked this book up because
What I liked the Most?
What I liked the Least?

Review:Darkling is the third book in the series, and is from Menolly's point of view.

Menolly is the baby of the group chronologically but her life has definitely been the hardest. While on a spy mission for the OIA Menolly was captured by a rogue vampire - he tortured and raped her, killed her and turned her into a vampire and then released her with the orders to return home and prey on her family. For the past twelve earthside years she has been stuck in the past, reliving her memories of that night, never managing to get over the attack that not only killed her but changed her for eternity.

The story this time focused on the escalation of the battle between the sisters and the Earth invasion of the Elwing Blood Clan. Headed by Menolly's sire, the clan proceeds to nab unsuspecting humans, creating a human/Fae crisis as people start to disappear. The "stakes" are raised when a close friend is taken. With the help of previous characters, like Morio the fox demon and Chase Johnson, plus the addition of the incubus demon, Roz, the sisters must scour the city and beyond for new, blood-crazed vampires.

Recommended to:Darkling has references and appearances ranging Merlin, Morgan LeFay, Grandmother Coyote (one of the Hags of Fate), to Demonkin, and so much much more. Darkling makes for an entertaining, fast paced read that should satisfy most urban fantasy fans. This book IS NOT a paranormal romance – no matter what it says on the spine of the book - if you are a fantasy fan who enjoys reading exciting fantasy adventure novels with strong female protagonists, then this is a series you would like.

Oops - and because I recommended this series with out fair warning - There is a Girl on Girl mini sex scene - it's not terribly graphic, but it is there. Considering the next person warned AuntieSocial.

Best Quote:

Challenges: Para 999, 100+

No comments :

Post a Comment