Book: Weetzie Bat



Francesca Lia Block
Young Adult
HarperColllins / 2004
Quality Paperback / 128 Pages
Series: Weetzie Bat #1

In her stunning debut, Francesca Lia Block has created a wild, sophisticated fairy tale. She invites us into a magical world where love really does manage to conquer all.


I picked this book up because I don’t even remember – but I’ve never regretted it

What I liked the Most? Everything – the story line, the writing, the characters

What I liked the Least? It is too short

Review: Basic Plot Line: Girl meets Boy – Boy is Gay – Boy says he’s Gay – They hunt Ducks together – finding all kinds of bad before locating good ducks – Family Drama Rama.

Weetzie is kind of like a generation-X Holly GoLightly without the bitch – She’s the cool boho chic chick that just doesn’t get why everyone can’t go their own way. I love the little details in the story – they love Jayne Mansfield movies, such as The Girl Can't Help It; the outfits that they wear (pink Harlequin sunglasses, an old fifties' taffeta dress covered with poetry written in glitter or dresses made from kids' sheets that have Disney characters on them) the Jetson-style Tiny Naylors.

Best Quote: “A kiss about apple pie a la mode with the vanilla creaminess melting in the pie heat.”

1 comment :

  1. Hi there :)
    Nice to read some book reviews.
    Only 10 more days until I'm finished all the work for my M Ed, then I'll get back to reading for pleasure.

    ReplyDelete