Book: Storm Cycle


Iris Johansen
Thriller
St Martin’s Press / 2009
Hard Back / 416 Pages


Rachel Kirby is a computer genius whose personal life is hell. While she continues to climb the corporate ranks, her beloved twin sister is plagued by a chronic illness that will eventually kill her, leaving Rachel all alone. Serendipity in the form of a mysterious email lands in Rachel’s lap one day, but not without a price. Thousands of miles away, archeologist John Tanek sits trapped inside a collapsed Egyptian tomb with a functioning laptop. He knows that Rachel is the only person who can help him, but time is quickly running out. It turns out the collapse was no accident. John has discovered something very valuable in that tomb, something that humankind has been searching for throughout history, something that Rachel could use as it may hold the key to her sister’s cure. While Rachel orchestrates his rescue, she soon finds herself trapped in a dangerous web of deceit and murder. Can she put her trust in John Tanek? She’d do anything to save her sister. Will they both live long enough to unravel the ancient mystery they’ve found inside the tomb?


I picked this book up because I enjoy reading her books

What I liked the Most? The details of the computer

What I liked the Least? Predictability

Review: Ok, I give the detractors their due – this is a totally predictable book, down to who dies, who’s fucking who, and where the mystery is headed, but the trip was worth the “I knew it” moment for me.

A sick girl overcoming the odds, sniper attacks, a computer named Jonesy, a search for the cure of a very rare disease, government agents, foreign travel, sisterly love, romantic interests, and a couple of bombs going off – this would make an excellent movie, how come none of her books make it that far.

Recommended to: Fans of her work

Best Quote: “Let me live my life while I can”

No comments :

Post a Comment