Book: The Selection


Kiera Cass
Young Adult
Harper Teen / April 2012
Quality Paperback / 336 Pages
Series Selection #1

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.
I picked this book up because I liked the Cinderella style dress on the cover

What I liked the Most? It was a simple read

What I liked the Least? Hehe - it was a simple read

Review: Oh wow, I'm really glad I didn't read the reviews prior to buying the book, because they are BRUTAL and I really don't get that. Yeah it feels like a knock off of some other story lines, but then again most of them do now a days. I can't tell you how much I truly hate some of the "oh so great literature" that other blogs are fanning the flames of, but hey reading is a PERSONAL thing.

I loved the fact that this was a simple read,

  • do I wish some of the other characters had been better developed, yes; 
  • do I wish the world had been better shown, yes;
  • do I wish that people would write books & not series, yes
But this was a cute, quick read, with a lot of wittier jokes & comments. Is it going to be to everyone's taste level, uh no. But it doesn't have to be. Personally, I fell in love with the cover & was really hooked from the beginning of the book. I like Kiera's concept of a caste system being number based & not area based. It is actually very much more believable than say the areas of Divergent or states of Hunger Games. 

Recommended to: Personally, I would recommend it to any one who likes quick funny reads


Best Quote: “No, I’m not choosing him or you. I’m choosing me.”

No comments :

Post a Comment