Book: Hush, Hush


Becca Fitzpatrick
Young Adult
Simon & Schuster / 10-09
Hardback / 391 Pages
Series Hush #1

For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her...until Patch comes along.

With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment, but after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is far more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.

For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life.


I picked this book up because I love the cover - Never judge a book by its beautiful, dark, intriguing cover – it’s gonna disappoint ya.

What I liked the Most? Patch – plain & simple – I loved to hate him & hated to love him

What I liked the Least? Nora – she’s got to be the most brain dead bint in a skirt EVER

Review: Not trying to be overly harsh but man, there are some times when I really wish I would listen to my inner voice. This book was supposed to be some award winning collection of great prose – better than anything else out there. I should have picked up on the sheer number of times the books is compared to that Twilight junk – breaking into a girls house to watch her sleep is not romantic; it’s called stalking.

But I digress, below are listed just a few of the issues I had with the story & characters.

  • Nora; supposedly your everyday girl – normal, smart, cute, good relationship with her mom, tragically lost her father due to a murder, but she instead comes across as a stupidly naïve, very irrational, silly unobservant child and the more I read the more annoyed I became at Nora's stupidity.
  • Vee; quirky best friend – loyal and true, willing to put her own body on the line so you can find out who is harassing you turns out to be the most sadistic character in the whole book – pushing Nora into picking a guy just because it benefits her.
  • Patch; dark anti-hero ala Edward inspired fame really pushes the boundaries of good taste with his over the top pursuit of the bad guy of the year award.
  • The Coach teaching sex ed – there is soooooo much wrong with this guy/concept/execution that it is not even funny.


Recommended to: I wouldn’t really, I would say read it or not – your choice

Best Quote: "Did they look like anyone we know? For example ... a cross between Pippi Longstocking and the Wicked Witch of the West would obviously give us Marcie Millar." ~ I got in trouble at work after reading this line it tickled me silly

No comments :

Post a Comment