Weetzie Bat

Book: Weetzie Bat

Francesca Lia Block
Young Adult
Harpercollins / 1989
Odd sized paperback / 88 Pages
Series Dangerous Angels #1

In her stunning debut, Francesca Lia Block has created a wild, sophisticated fairy tale. She invites us into a magical world where love really does manage to conquer all.


I picked this book up because I don’t even remember – but I’ve never regretted it

What I liked the Most? Everything – the imagery in this book is astonishing

What I liked the Least? It's too short

Review: I can tell you right now you will either love this book or hate this book – there is no middle ground. LOL.

You've got to be bit quirky, bizarre, or crazy to love this story, the way you follow Weetzie (kinda like a generation-X Holly GoLightly without the bitch – the cool boho chic chick that just doesn’t get why everyone can’t go their own way) & Dirk through this little micro-world where love really does conquer all & magic is real. Where words build this wonderful image in your head - they love Jayne Mansfield movies, such as The Girl Can't Help It; the outfits that they wear (pink Harlequin sunglasses, an old fifties' taffeta dress covered with poetry written in glitter or dresses made from kids' sheets that have Disney characters on them) the Jetson-style Tiny Naylors.

Basic Plot Line: Girl meets Boy – Boy is Gay – Boy says he’s Gay – They hunt Ducks together – finding all kinds of bad before locating good ducks – Family Drama Rama.

Recommended to: Anyone who's ever felt at any time that sometimes life is just too darn frumpy

Best Quote: "You are my Marilyn. You are my lake full of fishes. You are my sky set, my 'Hollywood in Miniature,' my pink Cadillac, my highway, my martini, the stage for my heart to rock and roll on, the screen where my movies light up."

No comments :

Post a Comment