Book: Throwaway


Heather Huffman
Romance
Lulu / 2010
Mass Market / 274 Pages

When society deemed Jessie a throwaway, she didn't let it stop her from finding the sunshine in her world...
But that world is threatened when she finds herself undeniably drawn to the mischievous glint in the eyes of a man unlike any she's ever met before.
What starts as a simple crush will lead them both on a journey they could never have anticipated. From a vibrant St. Louis neighborhood known as Cherokee Street to a cave in the Ozark Mountains with a 120-year-old mystery to hide, Jessie fights organized crime, corruption and her own fears to reclaim her life and leave her mark on this world.


I picked this book up because I like the cowboy boots on the cover
What I liked the Most? She saves herself

What I liked the Least? the watered down “sanitized” version of being a prostitute

Review: Continuing the “least section” this book seems to sanitize whoredom (kinda like Pretty Woman did) – there is no reality to it. I’m gonna get up, go do yoga, have lunch with my hooker roommate (who is like 18), then I’m gonna go party in the club, oops time to go home. That is pretty much her “daily” life. There is even a section on human trafficking and that was pretty much summed up into “her eyes told me she hated me” and that was it. Now that may sound like a major complaint, but it isn’t – I choose to look at it in the Pretty Woman way – hooker with a heart of gold makes good.

I enjoyed the fast pace of the book after all hell breaks loose in the city.

Recommended to: This is a hard call – it’s not a standard romance, it’s not a standard suspense, it’s not really standard anything – read it or not, it’s gonna depend on your view point.

Best Quote: “Rolling hills that had been vibrant green just weeks ago were now muted in tone, as if they were taking a deep breath before bursting into the song of fall.”

No comments :

Post a Comment